ONE PERSON'S GREEN WASTE IS ANOTHER PERSON'S COMPOST
Students in the Year 3/4 Sustainability Elective have been learning about the science of soil, how and why we need to care for it, and what our families can do to help out too. After learning about the layers of the soil and the importance of the compost layer at the top, students investigated what we can do in our own homes, especially with our green waste. Let's look at this learning:
|Students get a closer look at what's in soil.|
|We can show how things we need to survive are|
connected to soil.
|Making a wormery that shows layers of soil.|
|Recording our findings.|
After our visit to Hamilton Organic, we learnt so much and we were able to answer these questions...These are our answers:
What is green waste?
* is the stuff like lawn clippings, broken off branches, twigs and organic material. People make lots of green waste.
* it can be food scraps too
* when you cut overgrown things from your garden
* stuff out of your garden
* it's stuff you can turn into compost
Why shouldn't green waste go into the landfill?
* It will make bad gases and that's bad for our air.
* Our land will also sink as things rot.
* Green waste is the one who makes soil, so it shouldn't go into the landfill.
* Our planet will stink.
* Only people living on this planet can save our planet.
* Bad gases make the environment sick.
* Would you like a city that smells and is bad for you?
How do we make green waste into compost?
* Get your garden waste and cut it up as small as you can.
* Your food scraps can go in too.
* Leave it for awhile but turn it so the air goes into it.
* Cover it with a bit of old carpet to keep it warm for the bacteria.
* Keep turning it.
* Try and keep weed seeds out of the the compost.
What types of compost bins are there?
* You can buy a big black plastic bin but you can make your own too out of left over wood.
Part of their learning was a visit to Hamilton Organic to learn first hand how green waste can be recycled into compost that is great for our gardens. Find out more about Hamilton Organic -
Hukanui Students are doing their math -
SOIL + GREEN WASTE = COMPOST
OUR STUDENTS LEARNT THAT TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT, WE CAN ALL MAKE COMPOST.